Terms & Conditions for the London Zoo Education Access Scheme 2023/24
These are the Terms and Conditions on which we, the Zoological Society of London, supply services relating to London Zoo’s Education Access Scheme, whether these are goods, services or digital content.
Please read these Terms and Conditions carefully before you submit your application to join the Education Access Scheme. These terms tell you who we are, how we will provide products to you, how you and we may change or end the contract, what to do if there is a problem and other important information.
These Terms and Conditions are specific to the Education Access Scheme and are in conjunction with our standard Terms & Conditions for all educational trips, which can be found here:
Entry into the zoo is also subject to our general terms of entry, which can be found here:
INFORMATION ABOUT US AND HOW TO CONTACT US
London Zoo is part of the Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a registered charity in England and Wales and a Royal Charter body. Our charity number is 208728 and our company registration number is RC000749. Our registered address is the Zoological Society of London, Regent’s Park, London, NW1 4RY.
You can contact us by telephoning our Supporter Contact Team on 0344 225 1826 or by writing to us at [email protected].
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE SCHEME
Education establishments who join London Zoo’s Education Access Scheme are entitled to the benefits of the Scheme for the remainder of the academic year upon which they join.
- Education establishments can apply to join the Scheme in the Autumn and Spring terms of the academic year. However, regardless of the time at which they join the Scheme, the Scheme benefits will expire at the end of that academic year. The deadline for applications for the academic year is the last day of Spring term before the Easter holiday break.
- ZSL works to pre-defined UK terms dates. Details of these dates can be found on our website.
- These benefits include unlimited education rate tickets to London Zoo, subject to availability, and a 20% discount on paid-for educational activities, such as workshops.
- Education rate tickets are subject to London Zoo’s Terms and Conditions for Educational Activities, which can be found here: Education Terms and Conditions | Zoological Society of London (ZSL). Please read these terms carefully. As stated in these terms, these tickets are subject to a number of conditions, including but not limited to:
- AVAILABILITY: only available on weekdays during UK term-time, subject to availability. They are not available at weekends, bank holidays or school holidays. A full list of eligible dates and prices can be found here. All tickets must be booked at least two weeks in advance.
- SUPPORTING ADULTS: Our supervision ratios vary depending on the educational level your students are working at. For up to date information on free adult ratios, please visit our website. In addition, you are able to bring 1-to-1 staff who are supporting students with Special Educational Needs and/or disabilities, or as part of a Pupil Referral Unit/Alternative Provision free of charge. Any additional adult tickets required must be paid for.
- PAYMENT: Any additional adults or activities must be paid for at least two weeks before the trip.
- PARKING: London Zoo does not have coach parking facilities, but coaches can drop off in the car park if space permits. Parking for cars and small minibuses (16 seater or less) is subject to availability and to a daily fee, paid on arrival. Details of charges can be found on our website.
- LUNCH SPOTS: London Zoo does not have a pre-bookable lunch space for groups bringing their own food. There are a number of spaces around the zoo that groups can sit to eat food they have brought with them.
- NURSERY GROUPS: If your school has a nursery associated with it, please contact us to discuss eligibility for nursery visits.
- There is no limit to how many tickets a school can book across an academic year as part of the Education Access Scheme, but they are subject to availability as we operate at a limited daily capacity for education visits.
- Additional opportunities may become available across the year but are not guaranteed. These opportunities are subject to agreement between ZSL and the educational establishment and we will work with willing education establishments to identify ways to use the zoo as a learning resource for both teachers and staff. This may include, but is not limited to, use of our spaces for staff inset days, support for teacher-led activities, outreach activities and learning resources. Free support is subject to staff availability and there may be some additional costs associated depending on the nature of the activities. This would be discussed with the education establishment prior to any planning or preparation.
- Over the course of the academic year, ZSL may offer additional activities such as Trainee Teacher/NQT placements, teacher CPD, careers events and student work experience (Years 10 & 12 only). These events have extremely limited capacity and therefore may only be offered to certain schools who meet eligibility criteria (such as a certain percentage Free School Meals, a specialist provision or as part of an ongoing relationship via a LEA initiative). These are not guaranteed as part of joining the Education Access Scheme.
- The activities and tickets included in the Scheme are only available for current staff and students from the education establishment who is part of the Education Access Scheme, for trips organised by said education establishment.
- All education establishments who have been accepted onto the Education Access Scheme must ensure the tickets are used only by the people they are intended for.
- London Zoo’s Education Access Scheme does not include educational tickets or discounts for Whipsnade Zoo.
- London Zoo’s Education Access Scheme does not include car, minibus or coach parking. Tickets are non-transferable to other attractions or persons and may not be resold or transferred. If any person attempts to enter the Zoo with a ticket that has been resold/given away without ZSL’s written consent, ZSL will refuse entry and your organisation may be removed from the Education Access Scheme. No compensation is payable to either organisation by ZSL. • This Education Access Scheme cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or discount.
- Education establishments within Camden and Westminster boroughs are eligible to join the Education Access Scheme at London Zoo. Education establishments include schools, colleges and other organisations, with a registered DfE number, whose purpose is to provide full-time formal learning for children & young people.
- Organisations may be required to provide their DfE Number to verify eligibility for this Scheme.
- Nurseries, uniformed groups (e.g. Brownies or Scouts), youth groups, child minders and educational providers offering part-time or evening learning courses are not eligible.
- Home educators are not eligible.
- Organisations not meeting the above criteria may be permitted to join the Education Access Scheme only at the discretion of ZSL because of an agreed partnership, working towards shared objectives.
- If an establishment has more than one campus/site which all operate under one DfE number, all sites within Camden and Westminster are able to join together under one Scheme. Any campuses/sites outside of the boroughs or Camden and Westminster are not eligible to the benefits of the Scheme. If each site operates separately, with different DfE numbers, education establishments will be required to purchase one Scheme per site.
FEES AND PAYMENT
- The fee to join the Education Access Scheme is £500 per education establishment per academic year.
- Upon acceptance of the Education Access Scheme, you will be sent an invoice. Your access to the Education Access Scheme will not commence until payment has been received in full.
- The Education Access Scheme runs across each academic year and will end on the last day of the UK Summer term. The fee to join is required in full regardless of the date at which the Education Access Scheme was joined.
- Additional fees for visits not included in the Scheme (such as educational activities) must be paid for at least two weeks ahead of a planned trip. ZSL reserve the right to refuse to book future trips until outstanding payments have been made.
YOUR RIGHT TO CANCEL
- If you tell us that you have changed your mind about joining the Education Access Scheme within 14 days of paying the fee, we will cancel your access and give you a refund. If you have used the Education Access Scheme within the 14-day cooling off period but then change your mind and tell us you wish to cancel, we will deduct the price of the relevant tickets and activities from your refund.
- You are not entitled to a refund if you cancel after the 14-day cooling off period.
OUR RIGHT TO CANCEL
- In most circumstances, we expect that your access to the Education Access Scheme will run for the duration of the academic year. However, in exceptional circumstances, we reserve the right to terminate your access early with no right of refund to you for the unexpired portion.
- Examples of the above-mentioned exceptional circumstances include, but are not limited to:
- Misuse of the Education Access Scheme or benefits (such as by selling, lending, or otherwise transferring your tickets to someone else without permission from ZSL)
- Engaging in behaviour to any of our members of staff, volunteers or animals which we reasonably consider to be harmful, abusive or threatening o repeatedly not showing up for planned educational trips with no notice or reason given.
- If you disagree with any decision by us to terminate your access to the Education Access Scheme in this way, then you have the right to take the matter through our complaints process.
IF YOU NEED TO CANCEL A TRIP OR ACTIVITY
- Education Access Scheme trips are subject to the same cancellation policy as standard trips, as described in London Zoo’s Terms and Conditions for Educational Activities, which can be found here.
- If a group does not show up for a booked visit and the trip has not been cancelled in advance, ZSL reserves the right to charge a £25 cancellation fee on top of any additional visit charges.
- Repeated failure to not show up for planned trips without adequate notice given may result in your access to the Education Access Scheme being terminated.
IF ZSL NEEDS TO CANCEL A TRIP OR ACTIVITY
- ZSL reserves the right to alter planned activities on any given day due to circumstances such as, but not limited to, animal welfare, health issues, staff shortages or bad weather. If this happens then the activity will be replaced with another similar activity if available, or an alternative date will be offered to you. If a similar activity or date cannot be offered, a full refund will be provided if this was a paid-for event. ZSL endeavours to keep such changes to a minimum and will notify you as soon as possible.
- ZSL cannot cover travel or any other related costs if it is forced to cancel or reschedule an activity.
- Please see London Zoo’s Terms and Conditions for Educational Activities for full details on our policy if we need to cancel or alter a trip.
- ZSL is committed to protecting your privacy in accordance with their obligations under data protection legislation. The current data protection law is found in the General Data Protection Regulation as supplemented by the Data Protection Act 2018 and related laws.